Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Yucatan Peninsula: Exploration in Ruins


Part of Mexico is in the Yucatan Peninsula and includes some fantastic Mayan ruins: Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum.

All are accessible from Cancun, which is where we stayed.  I hope that Club Med Cancun has made vast improvements from the time I was there in 2006. We visited Coba through a day tour. The visit to Chichen Itza was offered by Club Med. And, to reach Tulum, we hired a taxi, which at the time was quite reasonably priced. (For excellent lobster and chocolate lava cake, eat at Lorenzillo's in Cancun http://lorenzillos.com.mx/restaurante/).

Before Crazy Travel Adventures By Debra takes a break for my upcoming wedding, I share photos of ruins that brought some beauty and magic to my life, as does my fiance.

[click any image to view larger]


Coba




The magic trick here in Coba was to climb backwards on the way down using that rope. It's steeper than it looks.








 Tulum was recommended to me because its coastal location provides some great photo opportunities.




If you want some time at the beach, bring your bathing suit.


The faces on these buildings at Tulum were fascinating. Consider the design mechanics of this corner display.


My token photo at Chichen Itza, but the other aspect of these Mayan ruins are what captured my attention.



Observatory

Look closely at the intricate levels

and designs of this structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment