Saturday, February 9, 2013

West Fork Trail: Hike Along a River with Wildflowers and Butterflies

For my alphabetical journey through the world, I choose West Fork Trail in Sedona, Arizona, USA for "w." Sedona is a destination for hiking, exploring spots determined to be a vortex, rambling through ghost towns a short distance away at Jerome, and even taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona is also known to be a spiritual hub that brings calm and peace to those who live there and visit. 

My flight landed in Phoenix and I drove the couple hour scenic route to Sedona. I spent nine nights in July at Casa Sedona.  This bed and breakfast is centrally located and has themed and well decorated rooms with gas fireplaces and views, scrumptious homemade breakfasts and snacks, onsite parking and a friendly staff. (http://www.casasedona.com/index.htm). I also booked a customized package of spiritual and relaxing appointments, such as massage and chakra balancing, through SpiritQuest  (http://sedona-healing-retreats.com)


I hiked almost each of the nine days I stayed in Sedona. It was hot during the day, but it's a dry heat. Hiking in spots with shade was pleasant and the short exposures to sunny areas wasn't bad at all. I always had my hat, sunglasses and sunblock handy. Often I would start my hikes between 7:30am and 8:00am.

West Fork was one of the longer trails I took.  It follows a river and continues through the river--literally. Hikers brought appropriate shoes to continue the hike through the river.  Unfortunately, I didn't know to bring mine.

[click on any image to make it larger]



The trail starts slightly away from the river.


Once the trail joined the river, wildflowers and butterflies greeted me. The air is crisp and clean. The walk brought me serenity and beauty.

wildflowers
White butterfly
See the orange butterflies resting on the flowers?


The trail wasn't heavily populated with other tourists. At times, I did walk by other people. Other times, it was just me and the rocks, trees, water, foliage and wildlife.








I had a lovely and uplifting experience upon West Fork Trail.

My nine days in Sedona refreshed me.

Where have you enjoyed hiking or found is a place to find peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment